When fleas or ticks attack our dogs, our animal friends have nowhere to look for relief except us. It’s our responsibility as care-providers to jump in and help solve these problems. If your flea infestation is seemingly out of control, it’s a good time to contact a pest control company in order to help protect your pets from fleas.
5 Ways to Protect your Pets from Fleas and Other Unwanted Pests
Experienced professionals like the folks at Garden Pest Services, a pest control company in Fairfax have all the tools and procedures necessary to eradicate those pesky fleas and ticks for good.
But to prevent the problem from developing in the first place, here are five things you can do to prevent flea and tick infestation:
1. Maintain a clean house – Pests need an environment like carpeting and bedding in order to lay their eggs and grow.
By thoroughly vacuuming your carpeted flooring regularly, the fleas won’t have a chance to colonize.
Dusting the rugs with a safe flea and tick powder before each vacuuming will increase your chances of keeping the pests under control.
2. Flea Collars – There are over 2,000 different varieties of fleas worldwide, and it may appear there are that many flea collars on the market.
That’s not true, of course, but a trip to a pet supply store can be confusing.
Ask your vet for their recommendations on the collars that provide the best and longest lasting flea and tick protection.
3. Flea Shampoo – A thorough washing with an anti-flea shampoo before you apply any topical flea killer is strongly recommended.
Afterward, machine wash the towel you dried your dog off with.
Add the dog’s bedding to the wash load to kill any fleas and eggs that might be hiding there.
4. Use Salt to Get Rid of Fleas – Common table or sea salt is a very effective aid in the battle against fleas.
The salt acts as a dehydration agent and sucks the life fluids out of the fleas.
It is especially useful in rooting out fleas embedded in carpeting.
5. Sticky flea pads – There are products similar to fly paper.
Sticky paper strips are hung on an electronic device that emits sounds that attract fleas and other pests.
Place close to the ground in flea-infested areas. The tiny pests will jump up and become stuck on the tape and will eventually die.
There are many more remedies and solutions to fight flea infestations than the ones listed above, of course.
Keep in mind the best protections against fleas are to destroy their breeding ground by maintaining a clean, well-vacuumed environment inside the house and to keep your pet constantly protected using collars and/or topical flea killers.