Pets and electricity don’t mix. Every year, countless pets are injured or killed after coming into contact with electrical cords, outlets, and other household hazards. As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the dangers that electricity poses to your furry friend—and to take steps to keep them safe. Here are a few electrical safety tips for pet owners:
One of the most common ways that pets get hurt by electricity is by chewing on cords or sticking their paws into outlets.
To keep your pet safe, make sure all of your cords are out of reach and covered with cord protection devices.
You should also put childproof covers on all of your outlets.
If your pet is particularly curious about cords and outlets, consider using a spray deterrent to deter them from approaching these hazards.
Another way to protect your pet from electrical hazards is to use child-safe outlet covers.
These covers fit snugly over outlets and prevent curious pets from sticking their noses or paws into them.
They’re inexpensive and easy to install, so there’s no excuse not to use them.
You can find child-safe outlet covers at most hardware stores or online retailers.
Extension cords are often necessary, but they can also be dangerous—especially if they’re not used properly.
If you must use an extension cord, make sure it’s rated for the wattage of the appliance you’re using it with, and never overload the circuit by plugging in too many devices.
In addition, always inspect extension cords before using them, and throw away any that are damaged or frayed.
And when you’re finished using an extension cord, be sure to coil it up neatly and store it out of reach of pets.
By following these simple guidelines, you can help ensure your pet’s safety around extension cords.
Another good way to keep your pet safe around electricity is to create a “pet-free zone” in your home.
This can be an area where you keep all of your cords and electrical appliances out of reach.
You can also use baby gates or pet fences to block off this area. This will keep your pet away from potential hazards.
Pets are often drawn to space heaters and fans because they provide warmth or coolness. However, these appliances can pose a serious danger to pets if they’re not used properly.
To stay safe, always keep space heaters and fans out of reach of pets, and never leave them unattended when they’re in use.
Electricity is an essential part of our daily lives—but it can also be dangerous for our furry friends.
By following these simple electrical safety tips, you can help keep your pet safe from electrical hazards around your home.
You can also reach out to local electrical services to get more tips and tricks on how to keep your pet safe.