Certain areas of the country contain more hazardous critters than others. Some of these critters present a hazard to both you and your pet. Here are some of the critters that you should be aware of that can make your pet sick.
4 Nasty Critters that Can Make Your Pets Extremely Sick
Watch for Rodents
Rodents are often seen more as a nuisance item for your household. You may not think that they can cause your pets any harm. Some companies, like Permatreat Pest & Termite Control, know that rodents carry fleas and types of diseases. Fleas are known carriers of disease for your pets. Another hazard that can come from a mouse is its droppings. Your pets can’t get hantavirus themselves. The problem is that they may bring an infected rodent into your house that can make you sick. Use a pest control company to abate any rodent problem that you notice in your home.
Raccoons Can Be Aggressive
Thousands of pets each year are injured by raccoons. The raccoon may simply by defending its territory or babies from your pet. Another reason for a raccoon attacking your pet is because it’s infected with rabies. The rabies virus will make animals act in a more aggressive manner than they would have otherwise. If your pet hasn’t had the rabies vaccine, it can be deadly for them. Many cats aren’t routinely vaccinated against the rabies virus.
In many regions, there are a variety of poisonous spiders. These spiders pose a health risk to you as well as your pet. Since your pet is smaller than you, it may not take them as long for the poison to start acting on their system. Cats are extremely sensitive to the venom of a black widow spider in particular. It can cause muscle paralysis if it is left untreated. Another side effect to the venom if that it can cause the tissue surrounding the bite to become infected.
Bees Can Sting
Your pets can be stung by bees just like you. Most pets won’t have a fatal reaction to the venom. In rare instances, your pet can go into anaphylactic shock from the sting. The more common reaction is to have swelling at the site of the sting. Some types of bees are more aggressive. If your pet is stung multiple times, this can cause them to become very ill. Seek medical attention if your pet has been stung multiple times, or is having trouble breathing.
Thousands of pets each year are rushed to the vet due to some of these critters making them sick. Protect your pets the same way that you would yourself.