Holidays are meant to be spent with your family and friends. So, don’t forget about your furbabies! Traveling can be stressful for both you and your loving furbabies. But, don’t worry! We have some holiday pet traveling tips to help make sure the holidays are wonderful for all of you, including your little four-legged family members. Check them out below!
Holiday Pet Traveling Tips
1. Do your research. How will you travel?
Will you be staying in a hotel or staying with friends and family? You should make sure your pet will be accepted.
2. Don’t forget to check with your vet, especially older pets. A good clean bill of health before traveling is best.
3. If your furbabies are unable to travel with you, you still have options.
Look into local kennels that will treat them like they are part of their family, too.
If none of the local kennels make you feel comfortable, you can, also, check into hiring a sitter. A sitter will give your furbabies individual attention and will probably be less stressful.
4. Bring a crate. A crate is a good safe place.
If you are driving, make sure to place the crate in the back seat.
5. A little piece of home. Bring your furbabies’ favorite blankie and a couple of toys.
The smell and familiarity are comforting. Also, the toys can help occupy their time.
6. Stay calm. By staying calm, and making sure to project good energies, your pet will find this time away as a fun and easy adventure.
7. Car Sickness can pose an issue. Just like humans, it is possible that our furbabies can be ailed with car sickness.
Some helpful tips would include keeping them in their crate in the back seat facing forward and crack a window.
8. If traveling by plane, contact the airline to learn their policies on traveling with your pets.
Whether they can ride in the cabin with you or not, always try to make it a positive experience by not feeling anxious or nervous.
9. Exercise. Exercising will help relieve any stress you and your furbabies may have.
Before leaving, and after arriving, make sure to take a long walk.
10. In case of an emergency, always be prepared. Make sure you pack your pets’ medical records.
Planes, trains, and automobiles. Sometimes you can’t avoid traveling. However, you can make traveling a fun and stress-free experience. Safe travels!
Friday 28th of September 2018
Good idea especially for fall + winter vacation coming up
Friday 16th of December 2016
Thanks for these great ideas, we travel with our babies often and want their experiences to be the best possible.
Saturday 7th of February 2015
Thank you for sharing all of these great tips for travel with pets.