I’m not one to be fussy ’bout my viddles long as they fill my belly. Truth be told, I eats ’bout anything WOOF! But, my Lady is always a checkin’ and makin’ sure we have good nutritious dog food cuz she says good food helps us stay strong and healthy. I like healthy cuz that means we don’t have to see the Lady in the white coat so much! Don’t get me wrong, she’s mighty friendly but sometimes she likes to poke ya with them sharp things of hers! So, back to the food, I’m gonna let my Lady tell ya all about organic dog food and why it’s good for ya. She also knows some good organic dog food brands she can tell ya about.
I’m a big fan of organic food for my family and for my dog. I will never buy a dog food that isn’t organic. That’s because organic dog food brands – just like organic foods for people – are best for overall health. Think about it. If you have a choice between an organic food source or something that’s been doused in pesticides, overly processed, or genetically modified, which would you choose?
What Makes Organic so Great
Organic is the way to go for a number of reasons, and it all goes back to being all-natural.
- No GMOs: Organic dog food brands contain no GMOs. GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organisms. A genetically modified organism can be anything from a chicken that has been given growth hormone or antibiotics to wheat. Wheat is actually the most widely used GMO. Strictly speaking, wheat isn’t even wheat anymore. It’s something else that looks like wheat.
- No Pesticides: Another great aspect of organic foods is that they use no pesticides. Pesticides may not seem like a major concern, but they are. You can’t just wash pesticides off of food. Those chemicals seep into the food itself, so no matter what you or a company may do to clean the outside of your fruits and vegetables, the chemicals are actually IN the food itself.
- All-Natural Protein Sources: This goes back to GMOs, but I think it bears its own category. All-natural protein sources are very important. All-natural doesn’t just mean that they contain no GMOs. It also means that they’re not overly processed. That’s an important thing to remember. Many dog food brands contain meat by-products, which is essentially just sweeping up the slaughterhouse floor and stuffing it into your dog’s food.
Best Organic Dog Food Brands
Okay, now that we know why organic dog food is so great and why your dog should be eating it, let’s go over a few of the best brands. Below is a list of the top five organic dog foods. These are the best of the best.
- Castor & Pollux Natural Petworks Organix – Castor and Pollux offers a wide range of dry and canned foods in multiple flavors, all of which are made of up to 95% certified organic ingredients. Their ingredients include such healthy options as free-range chicken, peas, carrots, and brown rice. They also offer grain-free, weight management, and puppy foods as well as treats.
- Newman’s Own Organics – This food exclusively uses free-range beef from Uruguay as its protein source. It contains no chicken by-products or wheat and corn. This is great, because these ingredients are the primary allergens for dogs. They offer varieties for seniors and puppies as well as dog treats.
- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Organic Formulas – Natural Balance Organic Formulas are made with organic chicken, brown rice, oats, barley, potatoes, and carrots. They also contain omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, canola oil, Vitamin E, and Biotin – supplements which are great for skin, coat, and joint health. This stuff is so great, it’s used to feed zoo animals!
- PetGuard Organics – This is one of the especially great organic dog food brands. It uses 100% certified organic ingredients. It has dry and canned varieties great for dogs of all ages as well as organic vegan formulas.
- Natura Karma Organic Foods for Dogs – Natura Karma is made from 95% organic ingredients, and it uses no wheat, soy, or corn for carbohydrates. Another great plus for this food is the way it’s cooked. The food is cooked at a lower temperature than other brands. This means that the food retains more nutrients than its competitors. It only comes in one variety, but they put their food through over 100 quality assurance checks.
Organic dog food brands are hands down the way to go for your dog’s long term health. It’s the same basic principle to healthy eating that we as humans follow, and it makes just as much sense. If I have to choose between feeding my dog a chicken breast or a pile of weird chicken parts that was swept up off of the floor, I know what my choice is. It’s the chicken breast, just to be clear. 🙂