Your dog is part of the family, always there to protect the homestead from evil mail carriers, finish the final scraps from supper, or to snuggle up with you on the couch. Unfortunately, dogs age and so do their bones, they too experience many conditions that humans struggle with such as arthritis. Dogs with arthritis are most commonly older and/or larger breeds. While many owners and vets have begun to explore a variety of treatments for these pups, the breakthrough of CBD for dogs with arthritis has proven to be successful in alleviating inflammation and other symptoms. As CBD treatment continues to heighten in popularity, many pet owners are turning to this natural solution. CBD products for dogs are constantly expanding, but the most popular products are CBD oil, treats, and infused peanut butter.
Canine Arthritis: What is it and what are the risk factors?
What are the risk factors?
As we mentioned, similar to humans dogs can experience arthritis with older age, as a larger breed or from being overweight. However, there are several other risk factors associated with canine arthritis. These include:
- Breed (It is more commons in breeds that have a higher incidence of Developmental Orthopedic Disease)
- History of joint trauma or abnormal joint development (dysplasia)
- Bodyweight (overweight or obese is high-risk)
- Body conformation
- History of Injuries/Infections
- Nutritional and activity history
Most dogs may experience a combination of these factors if they are struggling with arthritis.
Types of Canine Arthritis
There are several different types of arthritis that a dog may be diagnosed with for example osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. The different types of canine arthritis are:
- Osteoarthritis – This is the most common type of arthritis in dogs. Osteoarthritis can also be referred to as Degenerative Joint Disease. Deterioration of the cartilage results in progressively worse inflammation of the joints, and leads to pain, inflammation, decreased range of motion, and more. If your dog is experiencing difficulty getting up, pain, exhaustion, or any changes in behavior including irritability or urination in the house — these could be signs and it is important to consult with the veterinarian to provide your dog with a physical examination.
- Septic or Infective Arthritis – When a dog experiences an infection such as a tick bite, cut, or similar injury it can enter the joints through the bloodstream and cause this type of arthritis. Similar symptoms may include difficulty with range of motion and exhaustion, but can also include heat and swelling of the joint as well as a fever.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – This is caused by an overreaction of the immune system. The immune system mistakes its own protein as a foreign object and begins to attack. Eventually, this wears away the joints and cartilage and causes arthritis and inflammation. Rheumatoid arthritis is more common in small breed dogs. Symptoms may resemble those as other types of arthritis but also include enlarged lymph nodes, pneumonia, and recurrent UTIs.
Can CBD Help Dogs with Arthritis?
As we mentioned earlier, many pet owners have begun to consider CBD to help improve the quality of life for their furry friends struggling with arthritis. CBD products are considered to be more of a natural remedy, compared to other supplements and vitamins. But why and how will CBD help your dog to reduce symptoms and alleviate pain?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. Cannabidiol is pronounced (ca-nuh-bi-DYE-ol). It differs from cannabis because it does not contain THC, meaning that it will not give your dog a psychoactive feeling or high. CBD is primarily used in humans and animals to manage pain, anxiety, and more. The natural benefit that many experience from CBD is due to the way it interacts with our endocannabinoid system (ECS). Both humans and dogs have an endocannabinoid system that works to regulate the body and keep the nervous system, immune system, and organs functioning smoothly. The ECS system can get thrown off balance due to stress, diet, and more. CBD can work with the ECS directly to stimulate the system and keep it on track, therefore helping relieve symptoms of other conditions.
Over the past few years, there has been a great deal of research that has begun to understand how CBD can help dogs with arthritis. In fact, a recent study by the Baylor College of Medicine concluded that “in dogs diagnosed with arthritis, CBD treatment significantly improved quality of life as documented by both owner and veterinarian assessments.”
CBD has been shown to help dogs improve the symptoms of pain and inflammation as well as increase mobility. In 2018, a study was conducted to look at the safety and effectiveness of CBD oil for dogs with osteoarthritis. In their findings, researchers concluded that 80% of dogs show improvement in their pain and mobility.
Choosing The Right CBD Product For Your Pup
If you think that CBD may be a good fit for your dog, it is important to consult with your pet’s veterinarian if they are currently using any other treatment methods. There are many brands out there offering the best CBD oil for dogs with arthritis, but the Honest Paws brand is one that is highly recommended for its selection from their Wellness line and their commitment to offering all-natural products.
The Honest Paws Wellness line includes:
- Honest Paws CBD Wellness Oil– This comes in three sizes depending on the size of your dog: small, medium, and large.
- Honest Paws Wellness Dog Treats – An everyday treat for your pup that they’ll enjoy eating! Dosage is recommended based on weight.
- Honest Paws CBD Peanut Butter – All the benefits of CBD and the delicious treat of peanut butter!
Now’s the time to familiarize yourself with your pet’s symptoms, condition, and speak to their vet. From there, do your research, investigate products, and find the best fit and dosage for your dog.
Have experience with CBD for your dog? Tell us about it in the comments.